Thursday 22 July 2010

San Francisco, Day 3; You Gotta Give em hope

So, Monday was spent down in the Castro, the area made famous for Harvey Milk's campaigning and work there and for it's open and liberal attitudes towards sexuality. It's a beautiful and breathtaking place- surrounded by sandy hills and the low mists which seem to always be around San Fran while I've been here. Wandered up and down the streets, saw Milk's old house (as used in the film) and camera shop and talked to some really friendly people who were volunteering in the Community Centre and a shop which was raising money for people with H.I.V/AIDS.

The one thing which struck me was how friendly everyone was; whether I was in a cafe, walking the streets looking a bit tourist-esque and lost or in a bar grabbing a drink- everyone was willing to help and tell me some cool places to go and try and help me fit in. Haven't felt that comfortable in a gay area in England just wandering around on my own. It was really great.

Sorted out my trains too, so it's on to Truckee next Tuesday and then Salt Lake City. Still plenty of exploring to do in San Fran though!

No comments:

Post a Comment